We have wrapped the last day of the 2015-2016 TAC PSD at San Francisco Conservatory of Music. What happened? Here are a few highlights of this journey. (Hear my “student” music online—start at red7.zone)
- Became well-acquainted with fellow-travelers in the PSD program. They are all good composers, and going on this journey with them was an honor for me, as I came in the least prepared of them all.
- “Held my own” in terms of being able to write tolerable music for the assignments. Well maybe with the exception of one or two pieces where I started out pretty well and went downhill.
- Learned that I have a lot more to learn about “music theory” — which isn’t really a theory at all.
- Learned a boatload about using instruments I had never written for, even in my dreams. Strings, brass, and even a little about percussion.
- Learned I can’t hear high frequencies well enough to be a mixerman. (The Mixerman story is a blast—read it.)